21 July – 8 September
Each Tuesday, 1.30pm-3pm
Total course cost $320
Join Professor Suzanne Rutland OAM for an in depth exploration of the relationship between Judaism and Islam, and between Jews and Muslims.
Co-existing at times peacefully and at times contentiously for more than a millennium, Jews often fared better in Muslim countries than Christendom.
- Week 1: Jewish and Muslim readings of the Tanakh
- Week 2: Cousin or adversary: Images of Jews in the Qu’Ran and the Hadith
- Week 3: Ishmael is not Edom: Islam in the mind of the Rabbis
- Week 4: Convivencia: A reappraisal
- Week 5: Kabbalists and Sufis: A common mystical heritage?
- Week 6: Under Suleiman and the Ottomans
- Week 7: Colonial rule and the allures of being European in an Islamic world; and Nationalisms in conflict
- Week 8: Jews and Muslims in the non-Muslim world
For more information about the weekly content and course structure, and to book your place, visit the link below.