Jewish National Fund Charity Box
Donated by the Jewish National Fund of New South Wales
The Jewish National Fund (JNF) used this tin charity box in the early 1900s to raise money for the purchase of land for the Jewish people. Jews from around the world collected spare change in boxes like this to help build a homeland for their people. The JNF’s signature ‘Blue Box’ became a symbol of Zionism throughout Jewish communities worldwide.
The map depicts land purchases made in the early 20th century. The box pre-dates settlement in the Negev (1936), thus this region is not shown on the map.